Thursday, March 15, 2012

What's in my March Birchbox?

Like most people, I really, really love getting fun things in the mail. About six months ago, I was watching a lot of random YouTube makeup tutorials and stumbled across videos of girls displaying the contents of their Birchboxes. Seeing them showing off all their cool loot, I immediately began doing research. To my surprise, there are a number of monthly subscription beauty boxes out there, and it seems like more and more pop up every day. I decided to go with Birchbox because it had mainly positive reviews and seemed like a good deal.

Birchbox is $10 a month; for that $10, you get a handful of samples of high-end beauty products, with an occasional full-size product. All the products you receive in your monthly box are available for purchase on the Birchbox website. For every dollar spent you earn points that can be redeemed for more stuff. I have yet to buy anything from the site, so I can't really comment on how well that aspect of the service works.

Photo

I have to admit that the Birchboxes I have received so far have been pretty hit or miss. I was REALLY disappointed in my first box, which I received in November. In that one, I received two sad paper coasters, a teeny-tiny tin of foot salve, a Borghese mud mask that made me break out something fierce, the most microscopic container of lip gloss you've ever encountered, and a super smelly perfume sample. At the time, I asked myself, "ten dollars for this?" and considered cancelling. Ultimately, I decided to continue taking my chances, because many other subscribers had received really awesome stuff in their boxes.

I have now received five Birchboxes, and each one has gotten better than the last. Some products are amazing, but for every bottle of lavender Zoya nail polish, there's a tiny packet of powdered mouthwash (?!). The best items I've received up until now (pictured below) have been the Zoya nail polish, a pack of Eye Rock instant eyeliner tapes, and a small sample of Benefit's The Porefessional, which is something I already used and loved.

All-time Birchbox favorites

Today when I got home from running errands, my March box was waiting for me. I have to say that this month's box is altogether the best box I have received so far! Now, that's not to say that any one product is a must-have, but the samples were of a good size and I can see myself using all of them. Here's a look at my March Birchbox!

The box itself is very cute, and everything is nicely wrapped. Each month when you open your box, there's a little card with a letter from the Birchbox team. On the flipside is a list of the products in your box. I never look at that until later so I don't spoil the surprise!

March Birchbox

Removing the card and folding back the tissue, I found a tube of Miss Jessie's Quick Curls curl creme, J & E Atkinsons I Coloniali shower cream, a little wrapped bundle, and a packet of body cream.

March Birchbox

Inside the little wrapped bundle was a little bottle of Color Club nail polish in Jackie Oh! (a really bright hot pink), a jar of One Love Organics Skin Savior beauty balm, and a little pouch of WEI Pomegranate buffing beads.

March Birchbox

All told, March's Birchbox definitely gets an A+ from me. The samples I received this month were of a nice size, didn't smell particularly like old ladies, and will definitely be useful. No powdered mouthwash, paper coasters, or tiny packets of weird granola this month! Yay!!

No comments:

Post a Comment