Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I actually read a book for fun!

What I'm reading... by hello jenny
What I'm reading..., a photo by hello jenny on Flickr.

So, I have been so ridiculously busy lately. Library school = tons of work, all the time, and I am starting to pick up lots of hours at the 'Bux. It seemed like my days of pleasure reading were over, at least for the near future. Last weekend, I went with my mom to Target, and on a whim, I bought a copy of Shiver. I'd heard of the book, but I didn't really think it was something I would be into. My plan was to save it until August, when I will have a few weeks off from school, but on Sunday night, I had a little spare time before bed. I read the first few chapters, and I was hooked. Even though I had to work Monday afternoon, I was able to finish it within 24 hours.

I never really thought I'd be interested in a werewolf story, but this book was a lot different from what I expected. I really enjoy Stiefvater's writing style, and while initially I didn't think that dual narrators could work, it actually worked REALLY well.

What I found especially awesome was the fact that Grace was not some helpless baby, as so many of the female protagonists seem to be in paranormal romancey YA books lately. I mean, I'm not totally hatin'... I love fluff, I thoroughly enjoyed the Twilight books (for what they were; it's not like I thought they were amazing literature or anything). But I think it is important for girls to read about girls who can actually take care of themselves, and don't need to be saved. In fact, there was definitely some role reversal in this book, in terms of who saved who.

I could talk a lot more about this book, but I just got home with Linger! I need to quickly do some homework so that I won't have to feel guilty for staying up late to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment