Wednesday, January 2, 2013

it's time for new year's resolutions!

I absolutely love making new year's resolutions, although like most people, I'm not the best at the follow through. It's really starting to feel like these are my stock personal goals, and I'm feeling like this just might be the year that I can make some awesome life changes.


First of all, I'd love to blog more often. It might be a little tough, since I'm about to start my very last (!!!) semester of graduate school. I'm going to be doing a practicum (an unpaid internship for school credit) at a local library, plus I'll be taking two other classes. And, last month, I started a new part time job at another library near my house. So, I'll have a lot on my plate, but I really miss blogging. I've never done a great job at updating this blog, but when I was younger, I had an online diary (blogs didn't exist yet!) that I updated daily for several years. In the past, I've set goals to blog every single day, but I just don't think that I can commit to that right now, so I'm going to aim to update 2-3 times a week. I think that this is attainable!

In the past year, I've gained back all of the weight that I had lost on Weight Watchers. I don't really have a problem with my weight: I don't feel bad about it, and I don't believe that you have to weigh two pounds to be healthy or happy. But, I would be happier if I could fit into my favorite clothes, and if I had a few more shopping options. Plus, I've been having problems with my gallbladder, and I am pretty certain that my high-fat diet is to blame. I love fast food, junk food, sweets, and anything deep fried. I am hoping to get back on track this year. To do this, I am going to give up ALL fast food (which is going to be super tough!), cut back on the sweet treats, eat more fruits and veggies, and try to cut back on the massive quantities of food that I've been eating.

As far as doing something creative every day, I'm being pretty loose: in addition to craft projects, I'd also count cooking & baking projects. I have a tendency to laze around when I get home from work and I'd really like to use my time more wisely. I think life would be a lot more fun if I was being productive rather than just, like, watching Boy Meets World for three hours in a row. I mean, I could definitely knit and watch Boy Meets World, too, so it's really a win-win situation!

Planning my outfits in advance might seem like a pretty stupid resolution, but it's really something I need to do. I have waaaaaay too many clothes, plus tons of rad accessories. But I only end up wearing probably 10% of my closet and I never ever ever accessorize. I suck at waking up in the morning, so I end up with about ten minutes to get ready. I'm pretty sick of ponytails and boring clothes! I think that by planning ahead, I'll have a much easier time looking put together.

My final resolution is to be more organized. Honestly, of all of these, this is the one that I am pretty certain I'm gonna fail! I've definitely gotten better, but I'm still pretty far from being truly organized. If you had told the messy 10 year old me that 31 year old me was going to have a messy bedroom, I wouldn't have believed it. I thought that when you turned 18, something changed in your brain and you were an amazing adult who loved to clean, knew how to cook, and had all the knowledge you'd ever need. Unfortunately I was totally wrong. Cleaning sucks. Cooking is pretty boring too, to tell you the truth. I've always felt like the monkey at the end of this clip: 



JENNY HATE CLEAN.

So what about you? Have you made any new year's resolutions? Do you make the same ones every year? Do you hate to clean, too?

1 comment:

Anne said...

These are awesome goals! I posted about mine yesterday, and we have at least one in common: blog on a regular basis. I, too, think that every day is too much pressure (I used to do it, but I need to give myself a reasonable goal if I'm to have any chance of achieving it). If I end up getting to once a day, great! But 2-3 times a week seems like I could do it.

Your description of wanting to be able to wear your wardrobe and to accessorize is inspiring! Since I lost so much weight this year, I'm at a point where I have very few things that actually fit well anymore (good problem to have! Just weird). I've been making regular jaunts to the thrift stores throughout the weight loss but I'm down to just one pair of jeans that are really a little bit too big. So I would like to build up a wardrobe that would allow me to plan outfits - something I haven't done since I was in high school, I think. For accessories, I have a nice selection, actually, due to people giving me nice gifts, but I need to actually remember to wear them. Anyway, if you want to post about planning outfits or that kind of thing, I'd love to read about it!

And here's to your goal of eating healthy! The plan the dietician put me on seemed really daunting when I started, but I've gotten quite used to it and I actually feel really good when I'm eating well. Over the holidays I ended up needing to get fast food a few times and generally there was just a ton of rich food around and I felt super gross compared to my usual. It was tasty, of course, but it made me feel good to know that my usual eating plan makes me feel at my best.

Anyway! Big support for these goals! Perhaps we can encourage one another through the year.

Post a Comment